Are you getting traffic to your website, but no one is signing up for your email list?
On average, over 70 percent of people who leave your website will never return. That’s a lot of people who could have become subscribers and eventually customers. But what if there was a way to convert abandoning website visitors and boost your conversions? There is; via Exit popups.
Exit-intent popups are less intrusive than other popups. Instead of interrupting visitors as soon as they land on your page, they detect when a visitor is about to leave your website and send them a targeted campaign at exactly the right moment.
Exit-intent popups are highly effective and engaging and can increase your conversion by 1700 percent by converting potentially bounced traffic.
Add WordPress Exit Popup
If you want to increase your subscribers and generate more leads for your business, here’s how to create an exit popup in WordPress, step by step.
Step 1: Download OptinMonster
Before we begin, to access the Exit-Intent technology, you’ll need a Plus Subscription with OptinMonster. After you’ve signed up with OptinMonster, you’ll then need to download the OptinMonster plugin for WordPress.
- Upload the plugin to your site by going to Dashboard → Plugins → Add New → Upload → Install Now.
- Click on the “Activate Plugin” button to activate the OptinMonster WordPress plugin.
- Then click on OptinMonster in your menu and enter your API credentials to connect your OptinMonster account to your WordPress website.
Now let’s get started.
Step 2: Create Your Campaign
- Log in to the OptinMonster dashboard and click the “Create Campaign” button.
- Next, you’ll be prompted to choose your campaign type, select the Popup option.
- Next, choose your preferred campaign template.
- Hover over your preferred template to select a campaign.
- Click the “Use Template” button.
You will see an option to name your campaign and choose the website where you want it to be displayed. You can choose more than one website or even add the website later in the campaign builder.
- Once you have filled in the fields, click on the “Start Building” button.
From here, you’ll be taken to the OptinMonster campaign builder, where you’ll see the default Balance theme. Now it’s time to start editing your campaign and making it your own.
Step 3: Edit Your Campaign
- Start editing your campaign by replacing the default images with your own.
- Click on the image area to open up the Editing Image Element on the left side, then click Select to Replace Image. A screen will appear, allowing you to browse the files on your computer or choose a photo from your existing image library.
Once you’ve decided on the best image for your campaign, it’s time to edit the text.
- Click on the headline text to select it, then start typing in the text box on the left to replace the default headline with your own. Here you can also use the formatting tools to choose your font, make it bold, change the size, and more.
- Follow the same steps to edit the body text too.
- You can also change the colors of your exit popup by clicking on the blocks you want to edit and pressing the “Background Color” button.
- You can edit your fields with the Editing Fields Element.
- Click on the block that contains the email field and the “Sign-Up” button to edit the text or add new fields like name and phone number.
- Click the “Save” button at the top of the screen to save your progress.
Step 4: Add An Email Provider
- The next step is to add an email provider; this step is essential to create a campaign to grow your email list.
If you don’t have an email service provider, you can sign up for any of the numerous options that are compatible with OptinMonster.
- After you’ve created an account with the email provider of your choice, click on the “Integration” button on the menu at the top of the screen.
- Press the “Add New Integration” button.
- Select the provider from the drop-down list of email providers; I’ve chosen Constant Contact.
- Click the “Register with Constant Contact” button.
- Then a window will come up for you to log in to Constant Contact.
- Click the “Allow” button.
- Enter an Account Label.
- Click the “Connect to Constant Contact” button.
- Lastly, select the email provider list from the drop-down menu. The default one Constant Contact provides is called General Interest.
Now that you’ve added an email provider, it’s time to set the display rules.
Step 5: Set the Display Rules
- Select the Display Rules tab on the menu bar and choose “exit detected” from the drop-down list.
- Choose “current URL path” and “is any page” in the next display rules to load your popup on exit for all of your web pages. You can also choose to show it to only new visitors or only on certain pages.
- Once you’ve chosen your configurations, click the “Next Step” button.
- Choose “Optin” for the “Show the Campaign View” option on this page. Here, you can also choose effects like sound effects for your WordPress exit pop-up.
- Remember to click the “Save” button to save the changes you’ve made.
Once you’ve completed setting up your display rules, it’s time to go live.
Step 6: Make Your Campaign Live on WordPress
- Click the “Publish” button at the top of the screen; when the page opens, toggle the “Status” button to make your campaign live. You can also choose the website you want to display the exit popup on underneath if you haven’t done so already.
- Click “WordPress” to choose it as your platform.
- Next, go to your WordPress website and find the OptinMonster plugin you downloaded earlier. If you don’t see your campaign under the “Campaigns” section, click the “Refresh Campaigns” button.
- Once you see your campaign listed, click on the “Go Live” link underneath your campaign title. You’ll then see green text reading “Live” next to your new campaign.
Congratulations, you did it! Your WordPress exit pop-up is ready to convert, abandoning visitors.
You can create an exit popup in WordPress by following the above-mentioned steps to grow your email list and generate leads and sales. Whether you have a blog or an online store, exit-intent popups will give your business the boost it needs to capture emails and your visitors’ attention.
Customer Review at
“Beautifully optimized hosting for WordPress and Magento”
Arda Burak [Agency Owner]