[UPDATED] If you are into online marketing or have stumbled upon it recently, you must have heard about various online ecommerce models. One of them is dropshipping.
The term “dropshipping” gained popularity in 2006 when AliExpress became popular in the United States with the launch of Chinese ecommerce stores. At that time many people didn’t knew what is dropshipping. But some clever entrepreneurs took the lead and launched their stores to reap profits. They used AliExpress because of its low prices. Soon, more people were jumping on the bandwagon and dropshipping business became an instant hit.
Today, dropshipping has become a highly profitable ecommerce business model that can be started with almost zero investment. Some ecommerce giants such as Zappos, Wayfair, and Fab and Gilt, all have built their business models around dropshipping.
Let’s dig deeper and learn what dropshipping is and how you can start it.
How To Start Dropshipping in 2018
- What is Dropshipping?
- Dropshipping vs Affiliate Marketing
- Benefits of Dropshipping
- How to Start Dropshipping Store?
- How to Promote Your Dropshipping Store?
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. What Is Dropshipping?
Dropshipping is a supply chain management model in which retailers don’t have to worry about managing their own inventory. They can easily promote the products of suppliers and earn handsome commission on arbitrage.
The dropshippers work as intermediaries suppliers and customers. They transfer the order information to the suppliers while keeping a certain amount as commission, who then dispatch the product from the warehouse to the customers.
2. Dropshipping Model vs Affiliate Marketing
Dropshipping and affiliate marketing are two lucrative online business models. Let’s see what the actual difference between them is.
Dropshipping involves the supplier, the dropshipping store, and the customer. Customer orders a product from the dropshipping store. The dropshipping store transfers the details of the customer to the supplier. The supplier then ships the product to the customer. The dropshipping store makes a profit by selling the product for a higher price.
Image Courtesy: Oberlo
For example, if the price of the product on wholesale is $150, the dropshipping store can sell it for $200 to $250 making a commission of $50 or $100 easily.
- You set your own prices.
- You can start wholesaling any product without partnering with the manufacturer using Aliexpress, Ebay, and Amazon.
- You earn through arbitrage.
In affiliate marketing, the affiliate sells the products of the company that he is marketing for at a set commission. There are many online programs available for affiliate marketing but the commission is usually set by the company whose products the affiliate is selling. Unlike Dropshipping, the marketer doesn’t have the liberty of setting his own prices.
The good thing is that both of these are profitable, free to start, and people can make a career in both types of ecommerce marketing models with some hard work.
- You work at a fixed commission.
- You have to either join an affiliate program or partner with an ecommerce store.
- You earn commission on the number of products sold through your reference.
3. Benefits of Dropshipping
Dropshipping is a highly lucrative business opportunity for entrepreneurs. The good thing is that it doesn’t have a barrier to entry and anyone having little or no investment can easily enter the market. It is practical and convenient for anyone who would like to start their ecommerce store in 2018.
Here is a list of benefits of a dropshipping store.
Low Barrier to Entry
- In dropshipping, you don’t have to pay upfront for the products. So, you will only pay for the hosting and domain charges.
- As you have no excess inventory, hence your business is less prone to loss of revenue.
- You can upsell your own products along with best-selling ones on your store.
Convenience for Supplier and Dropshipping Store
- With dropshipping, neither the dropshipping store has to worry about shipping and packaging of the product nor the supplier has to worry about marketing and promotion of his products and both reap decent profits.
- Dropshippers can work with multiple wholesalers at once.
Easier to Scale and Remodel
- As dropshipping stores don’t require storage facility and are completely digital, they are easier to scale.
- Even if one niche or product doesn’t sell well, dropshipping stores owner can easily move to a better selling product.
- A dropshipping store can be started for free. Just get a domain and hosting and you are good to go.
- Even if you lose the store, not able to scale or profit from it, you can easily back out with no risk at all.
4. How to Start a Dropshipping Store?
The two best dropshipping platforms for starting a dropshipping store are WooCommerce and Shopify. Both have their fair share of pros and cons but are great. Shopify is great if you are just starting out and don’t have any knowledge of development. However, Shopify is a costly platform and will require you to upgrade your package if you want to scale the store.
WooCommerce, on the other hand, is a free WordPress plugin. You may have to pay for a plugin such as AliDropship, WooDropship, or YouDroop to start if you don’t want to go the manual way. However, it can also be started without plugins but the process may become complicated since you have to work with the code.
Setting up a store on WooCommerce is easy and you can easily set your own store by watching the video provided below.
Selecting Products for Dropshipping
In order to have a successful dropshipping store, you need to select products that are in demand. There are multiple ways to select these kinds of products such as from websites like Product Mafia or Google Trends. Most of the time, the best strategy of selling a dropshipping product online is by testing what actually sells.
Going sub-niche is also a good idea to sell your products. For example, yoga pant is one sub-niche that sells a lot. You can start your own store just for selling yoga pants.
The trend for searching ‘Yoga pants’ in the United States; retrieved on April 26th, 2018. Source: Google Trends
Yoga pants trend on Google Trends for the last five years or you can go even more narrow and sell yoga pants for fat women. In the end, it all depends on what type of products people prefer to buy online.
Points to Note
- Products should be less than $50 so a person can easily buy them online.
- They have ePacket delivery option enabled.
- They have a large order volume on eBay, Amazon, and AliExpress. This will help you know that people are actually buying them.
- The products need to have an upward trend in Google Trends.
Selecting a Domain Name
There are two types of dropshippers. One, who have multiple dropshipping stores. These type of dropshippers don’t worry a lot about the brand name. In fact, most of their domains are either Exact Matching Domains (EMDs) or they go sub-niche and select a name that resonates with the niche.
Second, who have a single store. They are trying to make it a brand and are genuinely working to scale it further. Apart from the paid marketing to sell their products online, they are also working on increasing organic traffic to the website. They carefully select a name and then register the domain.
Tip: Think which type of dropshipper you are and then select a domain or a number of domains and then register them. You can get the domains either from GoDaddy or Namecheap. Both are trusted websites and often provide coupons for registering domains.
Selecting a Hosting Platform
There are two best platforms available, WooCommerce and Shopify when it comes to dropshipping. Shopify is fully automated but costly. A basic store setup can cost you around $100/ month alone (Shopify costs $29, Oberlo costs $30, aftership costs $10).
In comparison, WooCommerce is an open-source CMS. You will only have to pay for the domain and hosting of your store. And, if you are hosting multiple stores, then you can host all those domains on a single host.
Tip: Using Cloudways for hosting your ecommerce store is a great way to start your dropshipping journey. With it, you can install the store in just a few clicks. As it provides optimized ecommerce hosting to ensure your site loads with lightning speed, also you are only charged for the resources you consumed.
Selecting a Dropshipping Plugin
Though dropshipping is possible without the plugins, the store setting up process is quite difficult. On the other hand, the plugins help you automate the whole process and are quite easy to use. I will focus on the dropshipping plugins that you can use for your WooCommerce store.
AliDropship works with WooCommerce. It is available for $86 and you can connect it with your store for automating the import of dropship products. It can import products from AliExpress and allows you to set your own prices. The plugin is available for one website only. You will have to get a new one if you are launching another dropshipping store.
WooDropship is a freemium plugin for dropshipping. It is an open-source plugin that easily integrates with WooCommerce. It has its own repository of products that you can import to your dropshipping store with a single click.
Dropified is available for both Shopify and WooCommerce. It works similar to AliDropship plugin and lets you import products from AliExpress. The only difference between the two is that it is available for a monthly subscription of $47 to $99.
Learn How to Set up a WooCommerce Dropshipping Store Using Dropified Plugin
Tip: Don’t give an impression that you’re importing product from AliExpress. Therefore, you should brand your website like an ecommerce store.
5. How to Promote Your Drop shipping Store?
Most dropshipping products work on impulse buying. That’s why, instead of waiting for the people to visit your dropshipping store, push your products in front of them.
There are various ways available to promote a dropshipping store such as social media, influencer marketing, email marketing, search engine marketing, and display marketing. For starters, going with social media and paid marketing would be a good idea.
Promoting on Social Media
Dropshippers have tested that Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest are three platforms where people buy dropshipping products. So, we will discuss on these three but they really work?
Does Social Sharing Really Work?
Social sharing alone won’t work for your dropshipping store. Facebook has reduced the organic reach of posts on its platform. People who have pages with millions of likes are not able to get a reach of even 0.1 million for a post unless they boost them.
Similarly, Instagram, which once allowed users to use hashtags for promoting their products, has also reduced the reach. Now, even those people who use tens of hashtags for promoting their products see a reduced reach or even no reach at all if they don’t have engagement on their accounts and relevant followers. That’s why most promoters of dropshipping products are now moving to influencer marketing to target niche specific audience.
Try Instagram Influencer Marketing
Instagram influencers are those people who have made a following on their Instagram accounts through engaging content. They fall into three categories: micro influencers, social influencers, celebrities.
- Micro influencers are niche-based. Each influencer has between 5,000 and 10,000 followers in a certain niche. They are great for promoting your products in a single niche. They also charge less for the promotion of your posts.
- Social influencers have a following of more than 10,000 followers. They are not restricted to a single niche. They charge more for promotion and are usually working with multiple brands at once.
- Celebrities are real-life influencers. These are either movie actors, artists, sportspersons, social workers, or politicians, etc. They are already powerful and don’t usually work with small businesses.
Points to Note
- To start influencer marketing, select a niche and then select influencers that have more engagement. They should have at least 5 comments or hearts on their posts
- Make a list of 5 to 10 influencers and then start pitching, saying that they can keep the product if only they post a picture of it on their Instagram accounts.
- More tips on influencer marketing are available in our Influencer Marketing Guide.
Facebook Ads and Google Ads Are Powerful
Facebook and Google have different nature of advertising. Facebook Ads work on the user information. It makes a list of its user’s interest. These interests are known as data points.
According to Washington Post, Facebook has made 98 data points public that it stores to target users with advertisements. Facebook offers its own certification program known as Facebook Blueprint. It provides everything you would like to know about Facebook advertisements.
On the other hand, Google Ads also offers its own certification for the AdWords program that works on keywords. Users, who are searching for a keyword on a search engine, are shown ads that are relevant to them. Unlike Facebook Ads, Google Ads are a little different in search and most dropshippers favor Facebook because targeting potential is much stronger on that platform.
Email Marketing Still Works
Email Marketing is another way to market your dropshipping products. Email marketing requires you to have at least the list of people who you can market. In comparison with paid ads, email marketing is much more complex because you don’t know the buyer intent. That’s why, in email marketing, people prefer to turn cold leads into warm leads by providing them with informational material.
Email marketing is usually done for the remarketing purpose. This means that when you have collected the emails of all the buyers, you can upsell to them by emailing them of your new products.
That’s all you need to know about starting a drop shipping store. Just remember, starting your dropshipping store is not the hard part, the hard part is when you get stuck and your product is not getting sold. When that happens, don’t worry and keep testing. Soon, you will have a product that sells well.
Now that you have made your mind of building a dropshipping store. The next step is to choose between a niche store or a general store. Here’s a detailed guide for you to choose between the two dropshipping models.
Niche vs General Store: Pick the Right Model for Your Drop shipping Store
If you have any questions about the product, then let us know in the comments below.
Simplified Managed Cloud Hosting for Ecommerce Stores.
Convert traffic into buyers with managed Ecommerce Cloud hosting.