Software applications can get unstable over time, especially as traffic increases. Regular performance testing is vital to ensure their scalability, stability, and speed. Nowadays, there are numerous performance testing tools you can use to imitate several possible user scenarios and learn more about your software’s behavior. You need the right one for your business to remain on top of your competitors.
According to Statista , around 23% of an organization’s IT budget goes to performance testing and quality assurance. Most of this goes to investing in the best performance testing tools to make sure that their products function as expected from them. Hence, it is high time that you explore what these tools have to offer to your organization.
To help you with your search, this article will do a performance testing tools comparison of some of the best tools available.
Apache Jmeter is a popular open-source Java platform that app developers use for performance and load testing framework. It can analyze and measure performance of different software including networks and servers. You can also use it as a load testing tool for your web service applications and ecommerce platforms .
Moreover, you can integrate Jmeter with the test plan or create a functional test plan. Some of its key features are as listed below:
- Supports multiple load injectors handled by a single controller
- Won’t require sophisticated infrastructure for load testing
- Supports all Java-based apps
- Demands lesser scripting efforts compared to other API performance test tools
- Customer-friendly interface
- Straightforward analysis of key load based statistics and resource usage through presentation of graphs and charts
Jmeter also supports protocols such as XML, HTTP, HTTPS, Java-based protocols, FTP, and SOAP.
IBM Rational Performance Tool
Developed by IBM Corporation, Rational Performance Tester is an automated performance testing tool for both web applications and server-based applications. This tool focuses on how to test server performance in terms of its scalability and stability. It can also seamlessly develop a demo of the operation process between the user and your web service.
Rational Performance Tester is a great tool for collecting information and analyzing them to help developers optimize the app. This allows you to detect any leakage in the application or server and resolve it immediately. It also includes features such as:
- Performing scriptless tests
- Supporting scheduled and event-based testing
- Providing real-time reporting on performance issues
- Running large multi-users tests
- Supporting automated test data variations
- Automatically detecting and identifying dynamic server response
- Allowing customization through Java code insertion
- Running website load tests using HTML version of web pages during test recordings
This tool supports protocols such as: Web HTTP, Citrix, XML, SOA, Weblogic, Websphere, SOA, and Socket Recording.
WebLOAD: Performance and Load Testing Tool
Developers use WebLOAD for enterprise-scale as a performance and load testing tool. This makes it a great tool for those with heavy user loads and complex testing. It can produce real-life load scenarios even in highly complicated systems. It also offers in-depth analytics with built-in support for hundreds of technologies. You can integrate it with other monitoring tools to fully optimize your apps.
Through WebLOAD, you can easily conduct stress and load tests on any web-based software. Hence, it is a great tool to have when building a website. It can produce load from on-premise systems and the cloud. Some of its crucial features are:
- Availability as an on-premise or cloud deployment
- Creates a flexible testing environment
- Automatically detects performance issues
- Readily extendable
- Supports every major web technologies
StresStimulus is known for its capability to handle difficult scenarios compared to other performance tools. It can automatically fix playback errors through its autocorrelation feature. It also keeps track of load impact on your app’s responsiveness as well as the server infrastructure.
Other features include:
- Supports cloud and on-premise testing using multiple load generators
- End-to-end Test Wizard for better navigation
- Does not require manual scripting and supports 3 scripting languages
- Allows script export to Visual Studio test format
- Can be used as a Fiddler add-on or standalone tool
By using this tool, you can also record user actions to emulate any changes in usage patterns. It can speed up your application by detecting hidden concurrency errors and providing comprehensive performance reports.
SmartMeter.io can be familiar to any users of JMeters. In fact, this is a preferred performance testing tool for those who want to address the gaps in JMeter. It is much simpler and requires no proxy setup or browser plugin necessary. This tool supports a scriptless test environment by using its Recorder, which also allows you to make advanced edits of the test.
It automatically generates reports by using functions such as automatic test criteria evaluation, trend analysis, and test runs comparison. Other features include:
- Support for scriptless test scenario creation
- Can be integrated with CI/CD
- Performs GUI test runs with real time results
- Advanced response body extractor
- In-depth reporting with automatic evaluations and test runs comparison
NeoLoad is considered one of the most automated performance testing tools for enterprises. It provides both testers and developers automatic test designs, maintenance, and analysis. It can also create realistic simulations of user behavior and fast root cause analysis for your apps. By emulating traffic through virtual users, it can evaluate your app’s performance, examine its response times, and determine how many users your app can hold.
With NeoLoad, you don’t even need an online degree in data science to optimize your app. It has features such as:
- Support for mobile, web, and package applications
- Automated test designs
- Provides reusable and shareable test assets and results from functional testing tools
- Hybrid cloud and on-premise load generation
- Integrations for automated testing runtime
If you are looking for performance and load testing tools online, then QEngine is for you. This free software is available for users online. On top of that, many developers consider it the simplest and easiest tool to use for finding any leakage in web services or websites. It also offers various testing options such as functional testing, stress testing, load testing, compatibility testing, and regression testing. Through this, it can simulate a lot of user behaviours to analyze the maximum load of your app.
Some of its key features include:
- Remote testing
- Automated testing tools
- Support for a range of testing options
- Reusable test scripts recorded during functional testing
- Easily accessible online
Choosing the right tool
Performance is everything when it comes to managing a website or an app. In fact, a study by Deloitte shows that a 0.1 second change in load time can increase your conversion by 8%. Hence, you must optimize your software applications to improve user experience and satisfaction.
This makes performance testing a critical process during development. It ensures the quality of your apps before they can be deployed. Nowadays, there are numerous performance testing tools to choose from. And while there is no such thing as a “correct” choice, you must be careful to select the right one for you.
So go ahead and check out what these top-load testing tools have to offer. Compare and contrast their features and functions to determine which one will suit your needs the most.
Customer Review at
“Cloudways hosting has one of the best customer service and hosting speed”
Sanjit C [Website Developer]
Umair Hussain is a Digital Marketer with a Computer Science background, and working at Cloudways - A Managed Cloud Hosting Platform. He is an internet savvy & loves to dig into search engine optimizations. In his free time, he likes to watch Sci-fi and mind-bending time travel movies & series. You can ping him at [email protected]