Cloudways is pleased to announce the availability of MySQL 5.7 for all its users.
The new version was one of the most-requested feature update from our customers because of significant improvements in both speed and performance. The integration is aimed at our customers who want to leverage the power of MySQL 5.7 for their PHP apps. In fact, all major PHP frameworks including Symfony, Laravel, Codeigniter, and Yii are also fully compatible with MySQL 5.7.
Our engineers carried out extensive tests to ensure complete compatibility of the integration with the Cloudways Platform. Once the process was successful, the upgrade was rolled out to the Cloudways users. ,
What’s New in MySQL 5.7
Unlike previous MySQL versions, MySQL 5.7 has several new features that improve the reliability and performance of the DBMS. The following list presents the new features in brief detail. However, if you wish, you could read the entire list here.
- Performance & Scalability: Improved InnoDB scalability and temporary table performance, enabling faster online and bulk load operations.
- JSON Support: With the newly added JSON support in MySQL, you can now combine the flexibility of NoSQL with the strength of a relational database.
- Replication improvements for increased availability and performance. These include multi-source replication, multi-threaded slave enhancements, online GTIDs, and enhanced semi-sync replication.
- Performance Schema now delivers much better insights as a result of features such as new monitoring capabilities and reduction in both the footprint and the overhead.
- Security: The new version fulfills “secure by default” requirements.
What About Existing Servers?
At the moment, you could launch PHP servers with MySQL 5.5 database by default. All existing servers will continue to function with the currently selected Mysql version. We highly recommend you check the compatibility of your application/website before upgrading MySQL version. In case of issues, you could discuss the problem with our support.
Upgrade to MySQL 5.7
Upgrading your current servers to MySQL 5.7 is pretty easy. Just go to the Settings & Packages, and then to the Packages tab. From the drop-down, select the MySQL version and hit the Save button. Now, wait for few minutes as MySQL 5.7 is being set up on your server.
Warning: Once you have upgraded the MySQL version, to 5.7 you cannot downgrade to MySQl versions and MariaDB.
Wrapping It Up
Database optimization is a necessary element, especially when the customers have a lot of queries. MySQL 5.7 improves the performance of databases for PHP applications. We hope that our users will be able to utilize the new MySQL version to add more power to their apps. We invite all users to try out MySQL 5.7 for different PHP versions and share their experiences at the Cloudways Community Forum.
Shahroze is a PHP Community Manager at Cloudways - A Managed PHP Hosting Platform. He’s always in search of new frameworks and methods to implement them. Besides his coding life, he loves movies and playing soccer with friends. You can email him at firstname.lastname@example.org
Start Creating Web Apps on Managed Cloud Servers Now
Easy Web App Deployment for Agencies, Developers and E-Commerce Industry.