Confused about where affiliate marketing is heading in 2019? Read on to find the latest affiliate marketing trends.
The world of digital marketing is dynamic and ever-changing. New, game-changing technologies are being introduced everyday and the only way to keep up is to stay knowledgeable and updated.
The affiliate marketing landscape is no different. It has continually grown and evolved and will continue to do so in the years to come.
Gone are the days when affiliate marketing was just considered a dubious way of selling nutritional supplements. It has become a serious digital marketing strategy for companies across the globe. Today, it accounts for around 16 percent of all e-commerce sales. What’s more, estimates suggest that by 2020, affiliate marketing spend will reach a whopping $6.8 billion.
Take a look at how affiliate marketing spend has increased over the years:
The year 2019 is just around the corner. If you keep at it, this might very well be your year!
Six Affiliate Marketing Trends you Need to Know Going Into 2019
Affiliate Marketing Trend #1: Influencer Marketing Will Get Bigger
The rise of influencer marketing has been tremendous. A large number of people are searching for content online, and trusting this unique blend of people who seem to be quite knowledgeable about what they are searching for. These people are not celebrities. They are real people endorsing products and services based on their real experiences.
The interest in influencer marketing has grown considerably over the past few years. In 2017, search queries for the term influencer marketing were 325% more than the year before it. Moreover, Twitter believes that users trust influencers as much as their friends. Surely, if you are an affiliate marketer, you cannot ignore this.
This rise in influencer marketing is down to various reasons. One of these reasons is that these influencers and bloggers have started to own their content. They are blogging and vlogging rigorously about their shopping behaviors, and brands have started to acknowledge their new roles. Also, influencers have a greater impact on user journeys. They have the power to influence sales and today’s marketers, with a wide range of analytics’ tools at their disposal, know exactly how that is happening.
Looking to manage your influencer campaigns more effectively? Here are four ways you can do that:
- Know exactly what you want to achieve. This will help you collaborate with them more effectively.
- Build relationships with them. Tell them what you do. You can also offer free samples to them.
- Give them some content to work with. This will not only make life easier for them, but will also ensure that they remain with the script. It is all about giving them room to adapt the content.
- Finally, do ensure that you have set aside adequate budget for your influencer campaigns. You will need to test different strategies with different influencers, so be financially prepared.
Affiliate Marketing Trend #2: Voice Search Will Hold Greater Significance
With the increasing adoption of smart devices such as Google Home, Amazon Alexa, and personal smartphone assistants like Siri, voice search is gaining massive popularity.
Estimates suggest that by 2020, half of all online searches will be conducted via voice and the trend will continue to rise. Moreover, 30% of web browsing sessions will not be carried out on screens, but via third-party tools. With voice-assisted and activated devices getting ever more popular, you, as an affiliate marketer will need to re-design your approach regarding search.
Here are some ways you can leverage voice search for your future campaigns:
- The intent of the user is critically important when thinking of voice search. When the user types his / her query, he might be quite specific. For instance, when searching for t-shirts, he / she might type in the color and size of the t-shirt one wants. However, when it comes to voice search, they speak as they do in normal conversation which might be quite subjective. For instance, they might say ‘I want a stylish t-shirt for a party’. This means that you will have to concentrate your efforts on the long-tailed search terms. Research on how your audience is speaking about the product or service you are promoting.
- Most of the searches made today are local queries. Do ensure that you optimize your content, SEO and Q&A section for local search.
- Another interesting trend is that of image search. Instead of telling people what they want, people will start uploading images of what they want.
Affiliate Marketing Trend #3: Data-Dominated Approach Will Win
We are living in a data-dominated world. Any discussion regarding future trends will remain incomplete without the mention of the massive heaps of data that are at our disposal. In fact, 90 percent of the world’s entire data has been accumulated in the past two years. With increasing number of devices, data will keep on growing.
What does this mean for an affiliate marketer? How do you make sense of the incredible amounts of data available at your disposal? No matter which part of the digital marketing landscape you belong to, your success will depend on how data-driven your approach is. You need to convert data into meaningful insights and take actions accordingly.
Here are some ways you can leverage data to your advantage:
- You first need to define what your KPIs are. They can be any metric(s) including impressions, clicks, leads or sales. These are the numbers all your marketing activities should align with.
- Try to understand why any marketing effort is not performing as it should. For instance, if your display ad brought about 1,000 impressions, not reaching your target of 5,000, you must look for what might have gone wrong. There might be an issue with the publisher or you might have to adjust your bidding.
- Make sure you are looking at data from different angles. This might help you draw newer, more insightful conclusions.
Affiliate Marketing Trend #4: Mobile-First Approach Will Be Key
Mobile phone usage and internet access through it has increased considerably over the years. In January 2018, the number of unique mobile phone users reached a whopping 3.7 billion. We can safely assume that mobile adoption will continue to rise in the years to come.
We will also see more incorporation of augmented or virtual reality in mobile advertising. As an affiliate marketer, you should leverage mobile advertising to the fullest.
Let’s take a look at some immediate steps you need to take going into 2019:
- Google and other search engines have been clear about making web a more mobile-friendly place. This is the reason you need to optimize your website for mobile devices.
- Consider this: mobile phones accounted for 64 percent of all of Google search clicks. This means that if you are not creating ads for mobile, you are wasting a huge ad spend. Make sure that all your ads are mobile-friendly to cater to the ever-growing mobile audience this will in turn maximize mobile lead generation in 2019.
Affiliate Marketing Trend #5: Native Advertising Will Continue to Thrive for Affiliate Marketers
Native advertising has been effective for affiliate marketers in the past and will continue to remain an asset in 2019 as well.
Sharing contextual, relevant information is the real tactic that affiliate marketers must continue using. Since Google is adamant about user experience, quality content marketing is the way to go. Once you have developed great content, you can create native ads for specific audiences who are more likely to convert.
Affiliate Marketing Trend #6: In 2019 You Will Need to Think Beyond YouTube, Google and Facebook
For years now, Google and Facebook have been the two giants of the digital landscape. However, their ever-growing power has led to dissatisfaction among some people. Recently, concerns regarding privacy and censorship have crept up. This has led people to look for alternative social media platforms.
One such alternative to YouTube is REAL.Video. Mike Adams, founder of the popular alternative medicine website Natural News, introduced it. This video platform aims to decentralize video publication. As more and more of these alternative platforms emerge, affiliate marketers will have to leverage them and look beyond Google, YouTube and Facebook.
Cloudways is Ready for 2019!
We at Cloudways are gearing up for the new year. Our team is itching to make 2019 an incredible year.
We offer a lucrative web hosting affiliate program that helps affiliate marketers earn up to $6K every month. Our team comprises of expert digital marketing professionals who help you in every single step of the way. From designing banners to providing educational content, we help you become a better affiliate marketer and earn big time in 2019.
Take a note of these affiliate marketing trends for 2019 and adapt to win big!
Do you agree with all the affiliate marketing trends or did we miss anything? Let us know your thoughts in the comments’ section below.
Grow Your Income with Our Affiliate Program
Join, Promote, and Earn. It’s That Simple!