So let me guess – you likely have a WooCommerce store ready where you sell something. A digital or physical product doesn’t matter. Or you probably sell a mix of both. And now you want to have a customer base.
You’d want recurring customers, sell bundles, or even offer discounted product prices. Because all this means you can enjoy consistent revenue streams and have a dependable customer base.
Well, WooCommerce subscription plugins can be your beacon of hope. These plugins can help you set up a sales strategy that retains customers, offers better and easy payment options, helps you with promotional activities, and what have you.
In this article, I’ve gathered 7 subscription plugins that you can use with your stores. From collecting WooCommerce payments to offering enticing deals, these plugins have different features to exploit.
So, without further ado, let’s jump in and explore some of the best WooCommerce subscriptions plugins.
Before diving into the article, let’s go through the outline below.
- What is WooCommerce Subscription?
- WooCommerce Subscriptions Plugins
- Final Thoughts
What Are WooCommerce Subscription Plugins and Why Have Them?
WooCommerce subscription plugins are extensions for WooCommerce stores that can help you with the store’s money management. These plugins enhance your store’s functionality by offering users a better shopping experience while benefiting your store financially.
You can use these plugins to fetch recurring payments, offer bundle offers, display discounts and promotions, and streamline your payments. Result? Healthy balance sheets of the store, a loyal customer base, and less stress about acquiring new customers.
Elevate Your WooCommerce Subscription Websites With Fast and Secure Woocommerce Hosting
Slow websites kill the business. Ensure your WooCommerce website loads fast so your customers don’t bounce away because of annoying delays.
7 Best WooCommerce Subscriptions Plugins (2023)
I will now mention 7 WooCommerce subscriptions extensions that would help you set up and automate recurring sales-focused subscriptions at your stores.
1. WooCommerce Subscriptions by WooCommerce
Active downloads: 80,000+
WooCommerce Subscription by WooCommerce essentially adds a new payment method to your Woo store. Granted that it is a paid extension, but it is money well spent. The plugin greatly streamlines the process of setting up and managing a WooCommerce subscription offer.
It’s a plugin developed by WooCommerce developers themselves. You can make the shopping experience bliss for your customers using this plugin. Right off the bat, it lets you set up recurring client payments. This means, no need to send monthly payment reminders to the customers.
Then, you can use it to offer trial periods of your choice, discount offers, set up time-bound deals, etc. It’s perfect for all sorts of WooCommerce subscription needs, whether you sell digital or physical products.
- It allows store owners to create multiple subscriptions for products and services
- You can offer trial periods
- Give subscribers the ability to manage their own plans
- Set up subscription expiry dates
- Create and manage subscription products at your WooCommerce store
Fast Websites = Better Browsing for Your Customers!
WooCommerce stores hosted on Cloudways load at lighting fast speeds. Why? Our hosting stack comprises NGINX, Apache, MySQL/MariaDB, and PHP-FPM to tackle high-volume traffic.
2. Subscriptions for WooCommerce by WebToffee
- $89/year for a single site
- $199/year for 25 sites
WebToffee for WooCommerce subscriptions is another great plugin that you can use for setting up and managing recurring payments and billing at your store. It is a paid plugin, and you get a 30-day money-back guarantee period if you don’t like the plugin.
The plugin supports multiple payment gateways, and the list includes PayPal and Stripe too. Both have millions of users, making it very easy for you to receive payment for your products.
In addition to that, you get multilingual support which means you can target customers in different geographic locations. Definitely, a good plugin to explore if you are looking for a decent subscription model for your store.
- Set up simple and variable subscriptions for physical or digital (downloadable) products
- Supports synchronized renewal with prorate option
- Multiple billing schedules, free trial & signup fee, recurring subscription discount coupon, & email notifications
- Synchronize the dates of the subscription products to a specific day of the month
- Fully compatible with multiple payments gateways
3. Subscriptio – WooCommerce Subscription
Active downloads: 7,500+
Subscriptio is another premium WooCommerce subscription plugin that is a great option for selling products like online memberships, e-learning packages, magazine subscriptions, and similar tangible and intangible products.
The company also offers support which you can extend for an additional payment of $24. This is a developer-friendly plugin and offers lots of hooks and filters for them. Using this plugin, you can track the complete transaction that takes place when a customer buys a subscription.
You can then track the events and draw insights to support your customers better. The plugin has many great features that can help you grow your WooCommerce store and set up a reliable revenue stream.
- Create subscription lists and subscription management tools for customers
- Sell online memberships with recurring charges
- Configure subscription trial period of any length
- This plugin is fully compatible with Stripe and PayPal
4. Yith WooCommerce Subscription Plugin
Active downloads: 25,000+
Yith WooCommerce subscription is a freemium plugin that simplifies the process of offering subscriptions to your visitors. This is an ideal plugin for creating subscriptions for videos, podcasts, courses, reviews – pretty much anything that you can offer to your customers on an installment basis.
You can get started with the free version, but eventually, you’ll need the paid version to offer a better user experience. Some top features in the paid version include – allowing users to pay via credit cards, create manual subscriptions, choose recurring payments, etc.
Some of the other key features of the plugin are mentioned below.
- It allows users to find subscription information on the “My Account” page
- You can create subscriptions for physical and variable products
- Fully compatible with PayPal and Stripe for automatic payments
- Admins can easily delete the subscriptions whenever they want
- Easily upgrade or downgrade subscription plans (this option is only available for variable products).
5. SUMO Subscriptions
Active downloads: 3,900+
SUMO Subscriptions is a complete subscription solution for your WooCommerce online store. This plugin lets you set up simple, variable, and grouped product subscriptions. Moreover, you can create and sell subscription products from your existing WooCommerce shop.
You can have additional 12 months of support for this plugin for an additional $16.5. The plugin works with most WooCommerce-supported themes. You can also get a free trial for the plugin before you decide to set it up for your WooCommerce store.
- This plugin is always compatible with WooCommerce, and WordPress updates
- The support is excellent, with fast response time
- Fully compatible with payment gateways such as PayPal, Stripe, etc
- You can create multiple subscriptions in a single checkout
- Compatible with SUMO Reward Points and WPML
6. Membership Content Restriction – Paid Member Subscriptions
- €99 basic
- €199 pro
- €299 agency
Active installations: 10,000+
Paid Member Subscriptions is built by Cozmoslabs and is a great option to explore when choosing a WooCommerce subscription plugin. The plugin allows high customization for your subscription content.
With great control, you can set prices for your offers and even get reporting data for your sales. Also, the plugin lets you use shortcodes to help with user logins, sign-ups, and subscription management for users.
The plugin is a little pricey compared to others in the league. However, you get many features and add-ons that help you with taxes, emails, invoicing, etc. These add-ons justify the prices to a great extent.
- Easy login using [pms-login] shortcode.
- Subscription management for customers who want to buy higher-priced packages.
- Recurring payments and discount codes available.
- Prevention from account sharing so that only those who purchase your content can view it.
- Offers several add-ons such as Pro-rate, Tax & EU VAT, Group Memberships, and PayPal Express.
7. WP Simple Pay (Stripe Payments)
- $44.5/year – personal
- $79.6/year – plus
- $139.65/year – professional
- $209.65/year – elite
Active installations: 10,000+
WP Simple Pay is a simple payment plugin that you can use for your subscription website. It accepts payments via Stripe and is very easy to install and use.
It’s a premium plugin that offers different pricing schedules, and you can choose what best fits your requirements. The plugin makes it easy for users to buy a subscription plan from you for whatever you sell.
You don’t even need a shopping cart which makes checkout easier and eradicates the problems of abandoned carts altogether. The best part about this plugin – it’s so easy to build forms with it. It has a drag-and-drop interface for form building, making it very beginner-friendly.
- Secure payment reception via Stripe.
- 10+ payment methods available to make it easier for users to pay.
- You can create recurring payment schedules.
- Collection and remittance for taxes.
- You can offer free trials of your products before collecting payment from them.
- Powerful automation with your WP CMS.
I hope this blog helps you set up WooCommerce subscriptions for your website. I have covered several top plugins that simplify the process of setting up subscription-based offers and ensure a smooth customer experience.
You can review them and choose the one that fits your WooCommerce subscription needs the best. I’ve also mentioned the latest pricing for these plugins to make decision-making easier for you.
I hope that you make the right choice and your store thrives and delivers great profits!
Q.Can WooCommerce do subscriptions?
A.Setting up a subscription-based business model through a WooCommerce store is easy. Simply select a WooCommerce subscription plugin and create individual product pages for each offer.
Q.How do I set up a WooCommerce subscription?
A.First, you need to install a WooCommerce Subscription Plugin. Next, add a product and set the subscription type (simple or variable). Next, add product pricing and related subscription details (such as length, renewal, and payment options).
Q.What is the difference between a membership and a subscription?
A.Both terms have a subtle semantic overlap, but they are different. A subscription-based model is one with recurring payments as long as the customers continue to use the products or services. Examples: Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.
A membership-based business model umbrellas the subscription model and, in addition, is used to grant special access or right to someone. It can be for a service or for accessing someplace. Example: Club membership, membership for an online forum, etc.
Q.What is the role of WooCommerce subscriptions?
A.Subscription plugins enhance how payments are received for your products on WooCommerce stores, whether digital or physical. You need those plugins to offer several payment gateways, set up recurring payments, offer multiple payment methods, and other related features which can help you with smooth payment processing for your WooCommerce stores.
Saud is the WordPress Community Manager at Cloudways - A Managed WooCommerce Hosting Platform. Saud is responsible for creating buzz, spread knowledge, and educate the people about WordPress in the Community around the globe. In his free time, he likes to play cricket and learn new things on the Internet. You can email him at [email protected]