Intimidating as it may appear to create an email campaign from scratch, email marketing has become an essential digital marketing activity. With the right tools to simplify workflows, however, it won’t be difficult to prioritize email marketing campaigns for effective results.
In this tutorial, we will review how to integrate your WooCommerce store. Mailchimp for WooCommerce is a WordPress plugin that adds your WooCommerce customers’ details and order information to your Mailchimp audience. It allows you to track sales, create targeted ecommerce automation, generate personalized product recommendations, send abandoned cart emails, and more.
In this piece, we’ll show you why you should be using MailChimp to automate your email marketing campaigns, and how you can integrate it with your WooCommerce store.
- Why Use Mailchimp?
- How to Integrate Mailchimp with a WooCommerce Store
- Best Plugins for WooCommerce Mailchimp Integration
Why Use Mailchimp?
Given Mailchimp’s high usability and the effectiveness of the campaigns it powers, it is undoubtedly one of the most popular email marketing plugins available today. Suitable for WooCommerce stores, it allows you to create and automate email marketing campaigns for subscriber lists of all lengths, with minimum risk of your email ending up in the Spam folder.
Mailchimp is an all-in-one platform optimized for the simplicity and performance of email campaigns. Mailchimp can potentially replace all the different tools that complicate (and in many cases hinder) email marketing workflows.
Some Good Reasons to Use MailChimp:
Customization: Pick from dozens of default templates or create a custom template that’s right for you.
Targeting: Segment the recipients and subscribers into groups according to location, activity, and commitment.
Analytics: Monitor the performance of campaigns with MailChimp, and use advanced reporting tools like interactive charts, click cards, opening rates, unsubscriptions, and more.
Social: Connect MailChimp to your Twitter and Facebook accounts to link your campaigns to these networks automatically.
For marketers and WooCommerce store owners, it is a robust platform that takes care of all the stages of email campaigns, saving time they can dedicate to more productive pursuits.
How to Integrate Mailchimp with a WooCommerce Store
There are three parts to the Mailchimp integration process. First, you have to create and set up an account on the Mailchimp website. Then install a plugin – Mailchimp for WooCommerce on your WordPress website. Finally, integrate your WooCommerce store with the Mailchimp account.
Step # 1: Create and Set Up an Account on Mailchimp Website
- Go to the Mailchimp website and click on the Sign Up Free button.
- Enter your email address, username, and password on the next page and click on the Sign Up button.
- Mailchimp sends a message to your provided email address with a link to activate your account.
- Go to your email inbox, open the Mailchimp email and click on Activate Account.
- After the activation, you’ll be asked to verify that you are not a robot, so click on the I’m Not A Robot button.
- Once you have done that, you’ll get into the Account Set Up page.
- Here, you can choose the different Mailchimp plans with the number of contacts mentioned. I select the free one with the $0 amount and click Next.
- Now enter your profile details with your WooCommerce store URL and click Continue.
- Enter your physical address details to ensure your email complies with international anti-spam laws. After filling in the details, click Continue.
- Select the option about your contacts, about your experience, and click Continue.
You’re done with the Account Set Up part.
Now the second step is to install the Mailchimp for WooCommerce plugin.
Step # 2: Install a Plugin: Mailchimp for WooCommerce
Before integrating my WooCommerce store to Mailchimp, I’ll first need the WooCommerce plugin already installed and activated in WordPress. I have used Cloudways WooCommerce hosting – best for online stores looking for a fast, secure, and scalable platform. With WooCommerce hosting, you have a pre-installed WooCommerce on your WordPress website.
Follow these steps to install and activate the Mailchimp for WooCommerce plugin:
- First, log in to your WordPress website, and navigate to WordPress Dashboard > Plugin > Add New.
- Search Mailchimp for WooCommerce on the top-right search bar.
- Click on the Install button.
- Now click on the Activate button after the installation.
- You have successfully installed and activated the plugin.
Step # 3: Integrate Your WooCommerce Store with Mailchimp Account
Now that the plugin is installed and activated, I’m ready to connect my WooCommerce store to my Mailchimp audience and configure the settings.
- Go to the Mailchimp plugin page, and click on the Connect Account button.
- Add your Mailchimp account credential in the pop-up modal, and click Log In.
- On the next screen, click Allow to authorize access to the account.
- Once you log in, you’ll redirect to the WooCommerce Store Settings page.
- Enter the Store Settings’ name, email, and other details.
- Under the Locale Settings section, select the physical location of your store.
- Scroll down to the Permission Settings to select the minimum permission to manage this Mailchimp for the WooCommerce plugin. Check the circle next to administrators and then click Next from the top-right corner of the page.
- On the next screen, select your audience. By default, I have only one audience created and pre-select.
- Next, enter the From Name, From Email, your Subject line, select the language, and a message that reminds your customers how they subscribe to your emails.
- Under the Opt-in Settings tab, choose how you want the opt-in to your newsletter checkbox to render at the checkout page. Select the Checkbox display options to enter the Message for the opt-in checkbox.
- To send targeted marketing emails to your customers, you can add tags to your new subscribers through the WooCommerce store under Subscribers Settings. You can tag your new subscribers as ‘WooCommerce’ or whatever tag name you like.
- Under Product Settings, you can change the default Product Image Size used by abandoned cart emails, order notifications, and product recommendations. I’ll leave the size as default.
- Now scroll up and click on the START SYNC button
- The Synchronization process may take some time if you have a lot of products and customers. You can follow the progress of synchronization on the Overview tab.
- If you have any issues with the connection, you can click the RESYNC NOW button by scrolling down to resync the audience without losing any of the data.
Congratulations! Your Mailchimp integration with the WooCoomerce store has been completed. Now, go to your WooCommerce store checkout page. You will notice that the ‘Subscribe to our newsletter‘ checkbox is selected by default.
Best Plugins for WooCommerce Mailchimp Integration
There are some other plugins available in the WordPress market to automate your email marketing campaigns. Here’s a quick summary of their features, as well as Mailchimp for WooCommerce.
Mailchimp for WooCommerce by WooCommerce (Free)
Mailchimp for WooCommerce is an easy-to-use plugin by WooCommerce that can be integrated with the WooCommerce stores. It allows you to set up and automate email campaigns. This plugin has a simple pop-up form embedded in web pages to persuade visitors to become subscribers.
- It is free and easy to use
- Add discount code in your WooCommerce email campaigns
- Grow your audience by driving traffic from Facebook and Instagram to landing pages
WooChimp – WooCommerce Mailchimp Integration (Premium)
WooChimp is an ideal solution for integrating MailChimp in your WooCommerce stores. The plugin simplifies and automates gathering customer purchase data to create targeted customer segments in MailChimp.
- Create brand-based marketing campaigns for top-selling items
- Use sign-up widgets and shortcodes
- MailChimp ecommerce support is available
- MailChimp webhook support is available
- Skip customers who have unsubscribed from your mailing lists
YITH WooCommerce Mailchimp (Freemium)
YITH WooCommerce MailChimp is a freemium plugin with a host of features for optimizing MailChimp integration with WooCommerce. The premium version of this plugin comes with several advanced features that extend the conventional email marketing capabilities of the WooCommerce platform.
- Send a welcome email to new subscribers
- Use short codes and widgets for optimal usage
- Select groups and lists for newly registered users
- Export the list of your subscribers to third-party platforms
- Customize email campaigns according to store marketing requirements
WooCommerce Mailchimp by Saint Systems (Freemium)
WooCommerce Mailchimp by Saint System is a flexible plugin for WooCommerce has more than 20,000 active installations. This freemium plugin is an excellent addition to WooCommerce marketing because of the many features in the paid version.
- Simple and easy to use
- Presents several subscription points such as order creation, order processing, and order fulfillment
WooCommerce MailChimp plugin provides flexible and straightforward MailChimp integration for the WooCommerce store. I highly recommend you install this plugin at your WooCommerce stores and start multiplying sales through new subscribers.
Also, you can check out how to integrate your MailChimp API with PHP on Cloudways. And if you still have any queries or comments related to this article, feel free to ask via the comment section below.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. How do I use Mailchimp in WooCommerce?
A. You have to perform a few steps to connect your Mailchimp for a WooCommerce store:
1) Install and activate the Mailchimp for the WooCommerce plugin.
2) Connect the plugin with your Mailchimp account.
3) Configure your settings to complete the data sync process.
Q. Is Mailchimp free on WooCommerce?
A. Mailchimp is a freemium service. If you are starting with Mailchimp, you can select the free version. Later on, if you want to add more contacts, you can choose the premium plans.
Q. Is Mailchimp compatible with WordPress?
A. Mailchimp can be used with WordPress seamlessly and enables you to create campaigns, subscriber lists, and more.
Customer Review at
“Great performance for the price, and plenty of control”
Sean P [SMB Owner]
Danish Naseer is a WordPress Community Manager at Cloudways. He is passionate about designing, developing, and engaging with people to help them. He also actively participates in the community to share his knowledge. Besides that, he loves to watch documentaries, traveling and spending time with family. You can contact him at [email protected]