After the launch of PHP 7 and Debian 8 on Cloudways platform, our DevOps team started work to provide Drupal 8 as one click installation along with its previous version on the Platform. Considering Drupal 7 still has a lot of life in it, we thought it would be better to have both the versions.
Why use Drupal 8?
Well, this version fundamentally changes the way core releases are handled. Every year, the development is seemingly divided into 2 halves. There will be a LTS or Long Term Support version release which might stick around for 2 years. 8.0 was the first LTS and if everything goes to plan, 8.4 would be the next LTS in 2017. The LTS will see frequent security patches (8.0.6) and minor updates (8.1). At the same time, work on 7.x and 9.x will continue.
As Drupal 6 is dead and Drupal 7.x may be sunsetting too, it is ideal to start work on this version now as it might be here for while.
Top New Features In Drupal 8
Drupal 8 comes with many new features. Let us quickly go through some of its best features.
- Five new type fields have been added in Drupal core which are: Date, Email, Link, Reference, and Telephone.
- Drupal 8 comes with CKEditor editor for the writer to write and edit their content right from the dashboard.
- The “Quick Edit” module which helps you edit your article right from the view if you are logged in.
- Drupal 8 introduced responsive images which allows you to choose different styles for individual images which will be used for different devices according to their sizes.
- It comes with PHP 7 support. So you don’t need worry when you move your site from older PHP version to PHP 7.
- The Drupal module “Views” is now included in the Drupal 8 core.
- To make the life of developer easier, Drupal 8 comes with a new PHP template engine Twig which helps to add themes and improves the security easily.
Since Drupal 8 comes with more than 200 features, it will be hard to write all the features in one single blog. Now let us see what Cloudways is providing along with Drupal 8.
One-Click Hosting Of Drupal 8
In one of our previous blogs we have told you to how to install Drupal 8 on PHP stack . However, you do not get the best performance that way. This is why we have created a dedicated Drupal 8 one-click installer on Cloudways. This type of installation will make Drupal 8 use the ThunderStack hosting technology. This means the CMS will work better as it is seamlessly integrated with Varnish cache on a Nginx-Apache dual-webserver.
Whenever you launch a new server or add a new app, just click on the drop down menu and select application and the desired version.
Hovering on the tool tip checks that you have selected the right version of Drupal.
Now, select the server you want to use for this website. Select your computing size, disk sizes (applicable on Google and Amazon servers), and location. Click on Launch Server
Now wait for some minutes so that Cloudways properly creates a cloud server with Drupal 8 installed.
All the new installations of Drupal 7.x and 8.x come with DRush latest version
If are currently using Drupal 7, you can’t update to the latest version of DRush. To use the new version of DRush, you need add a new Drupal 7.x or 8.x app and migrate your previous data on new one.
So why are you waiting now? Sign up now to use the latest version on Cloudways Drupal Hosting Platform.
Start Growing with Cloudways Today.
Our Clients Love us because we never compromise on these