Chief Marketing Officer, others as required
The Chief Content Officer oversees all content initiatives, both internal and external, across multiple platforms and formats to drive sales, engagement, retention, leads and positive customer behaviour. This content includes marketing materials, website, customer support, knowledge base articles and call centre activity.
This individual is an expert in all things related to content and channel optimization, brand consistency. The position collaborates with the marketing, sales, product, brand and customer service departments.
The position would suit someone happy to work independently and is primarily a remote role however regular international travel, primarily to Pakistan, is a part of the job.
Responsibilities and Duties:
The job of the Chief Content Officer is to think like a journalist, leading the development of content initiatives in all forms to drive new and current business. This includes:
- Ensuring all content is on-brand, consistent in terms of style, quality and tone of voice, and optimized for search and user experience.
- Integration of content activities within traditional marketing campaigns.
- Conducting ongoing usability tests to gauge content effectiveness. Gathering data and handle analytics (or supervise those who do) and make recommendations based on those results. Working with owners of particular content to revise and measure particular content and marketing goals.
- Developing standards, systems and best practices (both human and technological) for content creation, distribution, maintenance, content retrieval and content repurposing, including the real-time implementation of content strategies.
- Establishing workflow for requesting, creating, editing, publishing, and retiring content. Work with the technical team to implement appropriate CMS.
- Conducting periodic competitive audits.
- Supervising the maintenance of content inventories and matrices.
- Work closely with the company’s Chief Marketing Officer on all creative and branding initiatives to ensure a consistent message across channels.
The Chief Content Officer is measured on the continual improvement of customer experience across website, support documents, call centre interactions and all online and offline customer engagements. Success criteria include:
- Positive brand recognition and consistency across chosen published channels.
- Customer feedback and survey data.
- Increases in key search engine keyword rankings.
- Training others within the organization to increase the overall quality of content produced.
- Ability to independently create impactful original content that demonstrates a “Cloudways voice”.
Experience and Education Required:
- Preferably a Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, Public Relations or related communications field.
- 5+ years of experience as a respected leader in multichannel content creation (publishing, journalism, etc.).
- Experience with creating compelling messages for different target demographics.
- Audience development and subscription strategies experience a plus.
- Experience with Open Source applications (WordPress, Drupal etc) desirable.
- Deep customer empathy and an ability to connect to various internal and external audiences.
The Chief Content Officer requires a combination of marketing and publishing mindset, with the most important aspect being to think “customer first”. In essence, this person is the corporate storyteller that must be empathetic toward the pain points of the customer. Specific skills required include:
Back to Careers
- Proven editorial skills. Outstanding command of the English language.
- Training as a print or broadcast journalist and has a “nose” for the story. Training in how to tell a story using words, images, or audio, and an understanding of how to create content that draws an audience.
- The ability to train others to also grow their aptitude for content creation.
- Skill at both long-form content creation and real-time (immediate) content creation and distribution strategies and tactics.
- The ability to think like an educator, intuitively understanding what the audience needs to know and how they want to consume it.
- Project management skills to manage editorial schedules and deadlines within corporate and ongoing campaigns.
- Familiarity with principles of marketing (and the ability to adapt or ignore them as dictated by data).
- A willingness to embrace change and adapt strategies on the fly.
- The ability to adapt and learn from colleagues to develop domain expertise in new areas.
- Experience creating a resource or library of content organized indicating SEO, translations and version control.
- Ability to work in with other stakeholders in the business to achieve joint objectives.