Backing up your servers is an essential part of server hosting. It is one of those task that need to be performed on regular basis. Through backups you can prevent your data loss and always have your website contents with you in case things go disarray. Just like brushing your teeth is a daily task to keep your teeth safe, you need to keep your data safe by having regular backups.
At Cloudways, we were already providing a back up service to our valued customers. However, one feedback kept coming to us on constant basis: Allowing the users to download a complete application backup (Web Content+DB) to a local location. What did we do about it? Well, as always, WE FIXED IT! Cloudways now lets you download a complete backup of your web application to a local location of your choice. Now you can have your application back up with you at your desired location. Here is how to go about doing it:
Step 1: Go to the Server Management tab
From your Cloudways Console click on “Manage Server” option to enter the “Server Management” tab of your server.
Step 2: Now You Need to Enable Local Backups
- Scroll down to “Backups” tab and expand it.
- Select “Yes” in “Enable local backups” to activate local backups. Activating this option will make an additional copy of your backup to your server (local_backups folder) to let you download it via SSH/SFTP.
- Click on “Save Changes“. (This option is must before moving ahead.)
- And then click on “Take Server backup now“.
This will start the process of backup and you should have the file within a few minutes.
Step 3: Check SFTP Access Details
Once the backup process has been successfully completed, you need to check the SFTP access details so that you are able to connect with your server. For this, you need to:
- Click on “Application Management” tab of your desired server.
- Expand the tab of “Access details“.
- Note down your SFTP details that include the Public IP address (Host Name), User Name and Password.
Now you need to download the backup through the SFTP, for this you can use any SFTP client. In this case, we are using WinSCP client. Before moving ahead, make sure you are connecting through the SFTP protocol.
- Enter your desired Server Public IP address under “Host name” which you can find through Step 3 under the SFTP heading.
- Enter port number “22“.
- Enter your SFTP username and password.
- Now click on the “Login” button.
Once you are connected to your server via SFTP, click on “local_backups” folder and download the backup file (backup.tgz) into your local system.
Please Note: This procedure will only take the latest backup of your application to a local location. Off-site backups will continue to work as per the set frequency.
Start Creating Web Apps on Managed Cloud Servers NowEasy Web App Deployment for Agencies, Developers and E-Commerce Industry.
Immad is a Digital Content Producer for Cloudways - A Managed Cloud Hosting Platform. He is mostly busy in creating all sorts of informative and innovative content types. As a hobby, he loves to travel with his camera to picturesque destinations.